More on the evaluation of neck and back pain: http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/musculoskeletal-and-connective-tissue-disorders/neck-and-back-pain/evaluation-of-neck-and-back-pain
How to examine the back, including the following:
• Inspection (eg, for kyphosis and scoliosis)
• Palpation (eg, of the pelvic brim, vertebral column, sacrum, ileum, sacroiliac joints, ileolumbar ligament)
• Selected maneuvers (eg, straight leg raising, sciatic nerve stretching, concealed straight leg raising)
About the Merck Manuals:
First published in 1899 as a small reference book for physicians and pharmacists, The Merck Manual grew in size and scope to become one of the world's most widely used comprehensive medical resources for professionals and consumers. As The Manual evolved, it continually expanded the reach and depth of its offerings to reflect the mission of providing the best medical information to a wide cross-section of users, including medical professionals and students, veterinarians and veterinary students, and consumers.
• Merck Manual Professional Version: http://www.MerckManual.com/Professional
• Facebook for Professionals: http://www.Facebook.com/MerckManualUS
• Twitter for Professionals: http://www.Twitter.com/MerckManualPro
Examination demonstrated by Paul Liebert, MD, Tomah Memorial Hospital.